Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pushing Daisies Pie Box Project

Hello all! So, I wanted to post something on here that I actually made a year ago (but wasn't blogging at that time). I just finished Season 2 (the last season) of Pushing Daisies TV show and I'm really hoping that the reports of a Pushing Daisies Musical/Film Project are in fact true.

For our Halloween party last year, I decided to make a replica of the pie boxes that the characters on the show deliver pies in. For those who don't know, the show centers around Lee Pace and Anna Friel as they solve crimes. He has the magical ability to touch a dead thing and bring it back to life. Touch it again, dead forever. He brings his childhood sweetheart back to life (Friel) and that starts a whole chain of unexpected events that takes a lot of unexpected turns. The show has a real Scooby Gang dynamic and the characters are very likeable. The show is punctuated by a lot of really witty, poetic dialog and bright, bold color. Lee Pace plays Ned the Piemaker, who runs his own pie shop, and that serves as the backdrop for many of the scenes in the show.

I just used basic craft wood from Lowe's, along w/ some small nails, glue, and I ran a recessed table saw cut through the sides to create that groove the box top slides into. Turned out great. The only thing i'd do differently is maybe make the box a tad shorter in height, and use a more stainable wood. That wood was intended to be used as cheap shelving and to be painted, I think. It has a sheen to it that doesn't want to sand off, and it just sort of repels most of the stain that I tried rubbing into it. It did slightly work, though. I think the stain I used was Colonial Maple (Minwax).


No comments:

Post a Comment